To develop science, energy and technology policies that Fuel Growth.
To create an environment, through policy development and a progressive legislative framework, that facilitates investment, creates jobs and meaningfully improves the well-being of each Jamaican.
The MSET is currently mandated to:
- Encourage private sector innovation in the science, technology and energy;
- Lead legal and regulatory reform of the electricity and gas sectors;
- Improve national energy efficiency and conservation;
- Increase the percentage of electricity generation from renewable sources, thereby reducing dependence on imported fuels and increasing Jamaica’s energy security;
- Create a single ICT regulator;
- Streamline Government ICT operations (GovNet);
- Make access to Government services more convenient and efficient using ICTs (e-Gov);
- Draft legislation to facilitate competitiveness in ICT;
- Promote the use of free and open source software in Government; and
- Increase the access to and usage of ICT through the “Tablets in Schools” programme.