The Legal Services Unit (“LSU”) is a branch of the Attorney General’s Chambers located within the Ministry. The LSU coordinates the legislation programmes and serves as in-house counsel for the Ministry and its respective departments and agencies in support of their strategic objectives.
The LSU is responsible for:
- Reporting on and advising on legal matters concerning the Ministry
- Preparing Quarterly Legislation Programmes
- Preparing Monthly reports for the Deputy Solicitor General
- Providing Briefs for sessions of Parliament
- Legal representation of the Ministry
- Contract Preparation
- Cabinet Submission Preparation or Review
- Preparing drafting instructions for the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel
- Sitting on various committees and boards within and external to the Ministry to provide expert advice on the legal framework of the energy, science and technology subject matter areas.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS
The LSU conducts certain administrative functions such as:
- Ensuring all priority Bills are adequately represented; monitors progress of the implementation of the legislative programme and submits update to Cabinet and the Permanent Secretary as required;
- Attends sittings of Parliament and provides clarification on Bills as required;
- Provides legal advice to the Permanent Secretary, Departments, Agencies and other relevant personnel on specialised and routine legal matters;
- Develops, implements and maintains policies and procedures to guide the operations of the LSU;
- Represents the Ministry at local and international meetings, conferences and other fora as required;
- Prepares technical briefs for the Minister as required;
- Participates and submits performance and other reports as required and ensures timely submission of all documents/information requested from the LSU;
- Attends meetings, conferences, seminars on matters relating to the Ministry, its Agencies and Departments.
- Keeps abreast of international conventions related to the Ministry’s activities and interprets and advices on its implications.
The LSU’s Technical Functions includes:
- Participating in negotiations and drafts or peruses employment, engagement and all other contracts on behalf of the Ministry, its Agencies and Departments and ensures conformity with the related laws and policies and the interest of the Ministry;
- Preparing drafting instructions and/or drafting orders for signature of the Minister, ensuring all necessary /required consultations and Cabinet Submissions are done and coordinates the Gazetting of the Orders;
- Vetting Cabinet Submissions prepared by other departments and provide feedback to respective personnel before submission to Cabinet;
- Coordinating the preparation for the filing of actions on behalf of the Ministry on violators of laws within the purview of the Ministry and its Agencies;
- Examining Bills emanating from other Ministries;
- Attending the sittings of the House of Representatives and the Senate when Bills from the Ministry are being considered;
- Performing such other duties and responsibilities as may be determined by the Permanent Secretary from time-to-time.
The LSU’s Human Resource Management functions include:
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of direct report, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals;
- Participating in the recruitment of staff of the Unit and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established human resource policies and procedures;
- In collaboration with the Human Resource Management and Development Division, develops and implements a succession planning programme for the Unit to facilitate continuity and the availability of required skills and competencies to meet the needs of the LSU;
- Providing leadership and guidance to direct report through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensuring that the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Unit are clearly identified and addressed; and
- Establishing and maintaining a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the LSU’s and Ministry’s goals.