Internal Audit Unit
The Internal Audit Unit (IAU) is responsible for adding value and improving the operations of the Ministry and its Department and Agencies (M&DAs). This is achieved by assessing the effectiveness of the M&DAs risk management, control and governance processes through the provision of assurance and advisory services. Additionally, the Unit is committed to fostering a risk awareness culture throughout the M&DAs by keeping management and staff abreast of recent developments and providing sensitization sessions, where necessary.
The Unit’s operations are guided by; the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF), risk management standards, Government of Jamaica acts, regulations, circulars, international standards and internal policies and procedures generated by the Ministry and its Agencies. These documents provide the authority and platform to foster optimal performance and the meeting of stakeholders’ expectations across all functional areas.
The Unit contributes to the achievement of the Ministry’s strategic and operational objectives by aligning its activities with that of the Ministry and assesses other MDAs performance to determine goal congruence and corporate compliance with standards. In achieving this, the following activities are conducted:
- Financial, operational, compliance, value for money and performance reviews across all functional areas
- Assessment of controls to determine whether assets are properly accounted for and adequately safeguarded
- Follow-up reviews to determine whether remedial actions are implemented to treat with risk exposures identified
- Special investigations, appraisals or reviews requested by the Permanent Secretary, Audit Committee and Management
As the third line of defense within the Ministry, the Audit Function continues to maintain the highest level of independence and objectivity whilst serving both internal and external stakeholders.
MSET Internal Audit Unit Is
By Your Side,
At Your Service,
In Your Best Interest.
DOCUMENTS GOVERNING INTERNAL AUDIT’S OPERATION
- Internal Audit Charter
- Government of Jamaica Internal Audit Manual
ACTS AND REGULATIONS USED TO GUIDE INTERNAL AUDIT ACTIVITIES
- Ministry of Science, Energy & Technology’s internal policies and procedures
- The Financial Administration & Audit Act, Financial Instructions, 2017
- Ministry of Finance and the Public Service Circulars
- The Staff Orders for the Public Service, 2004
- Approved policies and procedures of Portfolio Agencies
- The International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF)
- The Public Procurement Regulations, 2018
- The Government of Jamaica Procurement Handbook
- The Public Bodies Management Accountability Act
- Corporate Governance Framework for Public Bodies in Jamaica, 2012
LINKS TO AUDIT RELATED WEBSITES
- The Institute of Internal Auditors https://global.theiia.org/Pages/globaliiaHome.aspx
- Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Internal Audit Directorate http://www.mof.gov.jm/policy-coordination-division/units-sections.html#IAD