The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Division is responsible for the development of policy and legislation to support, modernize and improve the ICT sector. The Division also lends support to MDAs in the development of policy and legislation which impact the sector and/or their internal operations.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS OF THE INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION
- Ensures a modern and robust legal and regulatory framework is established for the Information and Communications Technology Sector in keeping with the policies and international obligations of the Government of Jamaica (GOJ).
- Administers the licensing process for the telecommunications sector in collaboration with sector regulators such as the Office of the Utilities Regulation and the Spectrum Management Authority.
- Develops policy in relation to the administration of Information and Communications Technology across the GOJ and as such provides advice to the Minister on best practices to be implemented.
- Guides the development and implementation of policy/laws/regulations/strategies/ programmes/projects relating to the following critical areas –
- Cybercrimes and Cyber Security
- Data Protection
- Postal Services
- Information and Communications Technology
- Provides advice/guidance to its internal stakeholders and external counterparts, such as other Ministries, Departments and Agencies, and represents the interests of Jamaica and in instances the wider Caribbean, at fora at which critical issues relating to Telecommunications, Post and Internet Governance are discussed and determined.
- Monitors the implementation of plans, policies, laws, regulations, strategies, programmes and projects and provide advice.
- Assists the relevant Ministries, Agencies and Departments in seeking out and developing investment opportunities in ICT.
- Develops policies in relation to the use/deployment of ICT infrastructure.
- Assists in securing funding to support ICT plans, projects and programmes.
- Administers the GoJ Microsoft Enterprise Agreement.